Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dublin in Pulaski County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

New Dublin Presbyterian Church

 
 
New Dublin Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Miller, circa August 26, 2019
1. New Dublin Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  This congregation, one of the oldest in Southwest Virginia, consisted of 45 families by 1769. Col.Joseph Cloyd, a Revolution army War officer, donated land for its first sanctuary, built 1/2 mile east of here ca. 1781. The present sanctuary (ca. 1875), the third on the site, blends Greek Revival and Gothic Revival architecture. Members in the mid 19th century included enslaved African Americans. The church housed a Confederate military hospital during the Civil War, and the home guard mustered nearby before the Battle of Cloyd's Mountain on 9 May 1864.The cemetery reflects Victorian funerary art and is the burial place of veterans of the Civil War and World Wars I and II.
 
Erected 2019 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number KE 6.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1769.
 
Location. 37° 7.414′ N,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
80° 41.758′ W. Marker is in Dublin, Virginia, in Pulaski County. Marker is at the intersection of Cleburne Boulevard (Virginia Route 100) and New Dublin Church Road (County Route 797), on the right when traveling north on Cleburne Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dublin VA 24084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Cloyd's Mountain (approx. 0.3 miles away); Battle of Cloyd's Farm (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rearguard Action (approx. 0.4 miles away); New River Ordnance Plant (approx. 1.8 miles away); American Veterans (approx. 2 miles away); World War II Home Front (approx. 2.2 miles away); Marine Corporal Lewis Kenneth Bausell (approx. 3 miles away); Water Works — 1870 (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dublin.
 
Regarding New Dublin Presbyterian Church. The church is located ¼ mile east on New Dublin Church Rd.
 
New Dublin Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Miller, August 26, 2019
2. New Dublin Presbyterian Church Marker
New Dublin Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Miller, August 26, 2019
3. New Dublin Presbyterian Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2019, by Roger Miller of Pulaski, Virginia. This page has been viewed 240 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2019, by Roger Miller of Pulaski, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=138342

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024