Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Site of Redoubt Jones
Of Redoubt Jones
Center of 2D Line
(Marker Number MT-37.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 35° 2.615′ N, 85° 18.487′ W. Marker was in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker was on East 11th Street west of Lindsay Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 31 East 11th Street, Chattanooga TN 37402, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Old Post Office (a few steps from this marker); A Point in the 2d Line of Works (a few steps from this marker); Martin Hotel (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Military History of Chattanooga (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Coca-Cola Bottling Company In The United States (approx. 0.2 miles away); Crutchfield House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Union Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Crutchfield House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the marker is a, "Cast iron tablet in Custom House Lawn, East 11th Street."
Regarding Site of Redoubt Jones.
According to a newspaper article published in the Chattanooga Times on, December 1, 1893, there was a committee appointed from the chamber of commerce to identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by Federal and Confederate troops. These points were to later be marked by a bronze tablet bearing a description of the event which transpired at that point. According to a Battlefield Guide, published in 1897 by the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, “For the 20th reunion of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, September 18-20, 1889, the publisher of the Guide compiled the following list of historical points, which list, has since been revised and bronze tablets placed on or near the sites by the Government.” So it would appear that it was sometime between late 1893 and 1897 that these tablets were erected, by the government.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 64 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 26, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.