St. James Episcopal Church, 1863
The Bishop of Pennsylvania, deciding that it was important to establish a mission in the boisterous oil region, sent the Reverend Henry Purdon (shown) to gather a congregation. The first membership was small and consisted mostly of women. Titusville was chosen as the location for a church and a charter was obtained in 1863. The cornerstone was laid on September 14, 1863 at the exact geographic center of town and Laura Drake (Mrs. Edwin) sang in the choir for the event. The church became the city's first permanent place of worship, with Edwin Drake serving as its first warden and treasurer.
[Bottom three photo captions, from left to right, read]
• C. 1880
• Muddy streets plagued Titusville and most of the oil region.
• C. 1950s
Erected by Oil Region Alliance and City of Titusville.
Location. 41° 37.704′ N, 79° 40.395′ W. Marker is in Titusville, Pennsylvania, in Crawford County. Marker is at the intersection of Franklin Street (Pennsylvania Route 89) and Main Street, on the right
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hyde Home, 1864 (a few steps from this marker); William White Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Benson Memorial Library (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Scheide Home, 1864 (about 600 feet away); Corinthian Hall, 1865 (about 700 feet away); Site of Titusville Oil Exchange (about 800 feet away); Veterans Memorial (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Titusville.
Also see . . .
1. St. James Memorial Episcopal Church: Our History. (Submitted on August 27, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Oil Creek Township in 1874 Gazetteer of Townships, Crawford County PA.
3. Titusville (Oil Region Alliance). (Submitted on August 27, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for St. James Episcopal Church, 1863.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 27, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.