Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Center of Fort Phelps
120 Yards South
(Marker Number MT-60A.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 35° 2.131′ N, 85° 18.354′ W. Marker was in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker was at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 41) and Mitchell Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37408, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Dedication of Rose Garden to all Veterans (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Chattanooga Choo-Choo (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Chattanooga Choo-Choo (about 600 feet away); Chattanooga's Railroads (about 700 feet away); Chattanooga, a City of Historical Significance (about 800 feet away); Military History of Chattanooga (about 800 feet away); Terminal Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); A point in the 2D Line of Works (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the marker is a, "Cast iron tablet in stone wall southeast corner of Main & Mitchell Streets."
Regarding Center of Fort Phelps.
According to a newspaper article published in the Chattanooga Times on, December 1, 1893, there was a committee appointed from the chamber of commerce to identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by Federal and Confederate troops. These points were to later be marked by a bronze tablet bearing a description of the event which transpired at that point. According to a Battlefield Guide, published in 1897 by the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, “For the 20th reunion of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, September 18-20, 1889, the publisher of the Guide compiled the following list of historical points, which list, has since been revised and bronze tablets placed on or near the sites by the Government.” So it would appear that it was sometime between late 1893 and 1897 that these tablets were erected, by the government.
1. Inclusion in the Historical Marker Database
This marker is deemed eligible for inclusion in the Historical Marker Database under
— Submitted August 29, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 29, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 71 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 29, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.