Eaton in Preble County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fort St. Clair
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
One mile west
Erected in 1791-92, by order
of General James Wilkinson.
Here, on November 6th, 1792,
Major John Adair's Kentucky
Volunteers were attacked by
Erected 1890 by Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C10.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker series.
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 39° 44.627′ N, 84° 38.177′ W. Marker was in Eaton, Ohio, in Preble County. Marker was at the intersection of Barron Street (U.S. 127) and Main Street, on the left when traveling south on Barron Street. This marker was once situated on the northwest corner of the Preble County Courthouse grounds, and the southeast corner of the street intersection. An Ohio Historical Marker now stands where the Ohio Memorial Commission Marker once stood. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Eaton OH 45320, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. William Bruce (a few steps from Preble County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Van Ausdal-Donohoe House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Roberts Bridge / Timber Covered Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Roberts Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Mound Hill Cemetery Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Monument at Mound Hill Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Birthplace of Swine Improvement in America (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eaton.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, including this particular marker, which is listed on page 74 of the ORMC 1931 Planning Report.
Also see . . .
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on September 3, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Ohio History Connection. A link to the Ohio Guide Collection's picture of the original, featured, Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission marker, that is currently missing. (Submitted on September 3, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Wars, US Indian •
More. Search the internet for Fort St. Clair.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 68 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 3, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.