Cytemp Specialty Steel Company
Charles Burgess came to the United States from England in 1866. Skilled in the art of making iron and steel, Burgess purchased the Eames Petroleum Iron Works in Titusville in 1884. He changed the struggling wrought-iron company's name to Cyclops Steel Works and began making steel for oil well bits and other products for the oil fields. Burgess introduced self-hardening tool steel, and later high-speed steel—both ranking high in the nation's steel production.
In 1916, Burgess sold his business to Carl F. Boker & Sons of New York. Experienced in the distribution of steel, they expanded the company to meet increased demands during World War I. The Bokers employed Dr. Charles T. Evans, a chemical and metallurgical engineer, who developed Cyclops 17, the first stainless steel to attain general use in the U.S. Had it not been for Evans, the company would have failed in the early 1920s. In 1924, a working relationship was formed with the Universal Steel Co. of Bridgeville, PA. The companies merged in 1936 and formed Universal-Cyclops Steel Corp., with Evans as Vice President and General Manager of the Titusville plant.
The company went through restructuring and changed its name to Cytemp Specialty Steel in 1982. Armco of New Jersey purchased the plant in April 1992, but the plant did not fit into their plans, so its doors were closed in the 1990s.
Photo captions, clockwise from top right, read]
• The original wooden Cyclops Steel Company structures were replaced with steel buildings after the company was purchased by the Universal Steel Company. 1884
• Early steel workers pose outside Cyclops 1884
• Workers inside the steel operation 1950
• Aerial view of the sprawling Cytemp, the plant covered more than 265 acres and employed approximately 1200 people. 1979
• The Company installed a vacuum-induction melting furnace in the 1970s; this furnace had a capacity of 60,000 pounds, and was the largest of its kind in the world. Pictured is the building that housed the furnace. 1979
•During World War II women began to flood the labor force in order to replace the millions of men who had gone off to war, Cytemp was not exception. c.1940.
Erected 2014 by Oil Region Alliance, City of Titusville, and Cytemp/Universal Cyclops Quarter Century Club.
Location. 41° 37.698′ N, 79° 39.63′ W. Marker is in Titusville, Pennsylvania, in Crawford County. Marker is at the intersection of Central Avenue (Pennsylvania Route 27) and Murdock Boulevard, on the left when traveling east on Central Avenue. Marker is near the SW corner of Burgess Park, near the Titusville Community Center. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Titusville PA 16354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Specialty Steelmaker of Titusville (here, next to this marker); Burgess Park (a few steps from this marker); Townville Episcopal Chapel Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); John William Heisman (approx. ¼ mile away); McKinney Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); John A. Mather (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Mather Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Tarbell House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Titusville.
Also see . . .
1. Cyclops & Cytemp: A Short History of Steelmaking in Titusville. (Submitted on September 4, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Cytemp remembered (The Titusville Herald, 2014) . (Submitted on September 4, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Cyclops Steel at Wikipedia. (Submitted on September 4, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Cytemp Specialty Steel Company.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 4, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 4, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.