St. Mary's City in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Welcome to the Maryland Dove
The ship you see anchored before you in the St. Mary's River is a modern living history exhibit. It was built in 1978 to represent a 17th-century trading vessel.
Construction of the Maryland Dove was completed in 1978. William A. Baker was the architect and James B. Richardson was the shipwright.
Lack of evidence from the original 1634 Dove made an exact reproduction impossible. After careful examination of 16th- and 17th-century records, however, plans were drawn for a pinnace, a small ship used for trading and exploring.
Visitors to the Maryland Dove discover firsthand the hard work of a colonial sailor.
The Maryland Dove is a working maritime exhibit. Several times a year, she makes goodwill visits to various ports in the Chesapeake region.
To meet 21st-century schedules, a pair of diesel auxiliary engines was installed on the Maryland Dove in 1988. This allows the ship to sail in calm weather.
Wooden ships sitting in the river for months at a time are in constant risk of worm damage and rot, just as they
A volunteer crew, recruited from interested individuals of all ages, assists in the operation and maintenance of the Maryland Dove.
The Maryland Dove is interpreted as a typical mid-17th-century pinnace. This class of vessel was able to cross oceans but was primarily used for trading up and down the Atlantic coast.
The Maryland Dove
Length Overall: 76 feet
Length of Deck: 56 feet
Length at Water Line: 51 feet
Beam Overall: 17 feet
Draft: 6½ feet-7 feet
Capacity: 42 tons
Approximate Sail Area: 1,965 square feet
Height of Main Mast: 64 feet above the waterline
Erected by Historic St. Mary's City.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1978.
Location. 38° 11.143′ N, 76° 26.09′ W. Marker is in St. Mary's City, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker can be reached from Old State House Road west of Point Lookout Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 47414 Old State House Road, Saint Marys City MD 20686, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Taking Sail, Taking Chances (here, next to this marker); "have Their houses near the Watters" (a few steps from this marker); In 1648 Margaret Brent Asks for “Vote...And Voyce” (within shouting distance of this marker); Upon This Shore (within shouting distance of this marker); Mathias de Sousa (within shouting distance of this marker); Watery Highways (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to the Waterfront (within shouting distance of this marker); Out the Door (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Mary's City.
Additional keywords. Welcome to the Maryland Dove
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 4, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.