Vischer Ferry in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Vischer Ferry Nature and Historic Preserve
Farmed by Mohawk Indians prior of European settlers, the area was known as Canastigione, meaning "corn flats.” Clifton Park's first white settlers had arrived by 1672, establishing a community here on the Mohawk that became known as Fort's Ferry, after the ferry established by Nicholas Fort about 1727. This area was part of the Canastigione Land Patent of 1708 granted by Queen Anne of England which gave land to speculators.
Local residents began to be employed in 1822 digging the Erie Canal, which opened between Albany and Buffalo in 1825. The canal was so successful that it was necessary to enlarge it just ten years
In 1907, the Mohawk River was dammed to create the locks of the Barge Canal. This made the Mohawk River navigable, but raised the water level to such an extent that annual spring floods inundated the area, forcing the abandonment of the settlements of Fort's Ferry and Clute's Dry Dock. The Erie Canal was abandoned when the Barge Canal became operational in 1917.
Erected by America’s Byways.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Erie Canal series list.
Location. 42° 47.576′ N, 73° 47.742′ W. Marker is in Vischer Ferry, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is at the intersection of Riverview Road and Van Vranken Road, on the right when traveling east on Riverview Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rexford NY 12148, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cast Iron Whipple Truss Bridge, 1869 (here, next to this marker); Whipple Iron Truss Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Erie Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); Clutes Dry Dock (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Clute’s Dry Dock (approx. one mile away); Fox Preserve (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lock 19 (approx. 1.4 miles away); Van Den Bergh (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vischer Ferry.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 5, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 73 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 5, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.