Lonaconing in Allegany County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Turnbull Mine Car
Bill Turnbull was the original owner of the coal car. The car was removed from the Turnbull mine in 1985.
Second owner of the car was Bob Phillips. The car was then used as a decorative yard item.
In 1987 the car was moved to the Furnace Park and restored by Duncan Haines.
In 1997 the car was restored again by the Georges Creek Cruisers Car Club under the guidance of Duncan Haines.
1998 A new fence was installed by Georges Creek Cruisers Car Club.
Location. 39° 34.182′ N, 78° 58.659′ W. Marker is in Lonaconing, Maryland, in Allegany County. Marker is on East Main Street (Maryland Route 36) just south of Bridge Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 33 East Main Street, Lonaconing MD 21539, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert Moses (Lefty) Grove (within shouting distance of this marker); Dedicated to Mary E. Myers (within shouting distance of this marker); George's Creek Coal and Iron Company (1837-1855) (within shouting distance of this marker); First Successful Coke Fired Iron Furnace in America Vietnam Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Our Heroes (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lonaconing Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Honor and Remembrance (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lonaconing.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Roads & Vehicles •
More. Search the internet for Turnbull Mine Car.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 60 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.