— Major General Joseph J. Reynolds —
Maj. Gen. Joseph J. Reynolds.
Sept. 20, 1863, 6 P.M.
King’s Brigade Col. Edward A. King.
Col. Milton S. Robinson.
Turchin’s Brigade Brig. Gen. John B. Turchin
The above brigades of the division – the 1st brigade, Colonel Wilder, being detached and serving as mounted infantry – withdrew from the South line of the Kelly field about 5:30 P.M. Marched northward on the Lafayette road, and before reaching the North line of the Kelly field filed left into the woods formed line by the rear rank facing north. Turchin’s brigade in two lines was on the right in King’s in two lines on the left. Turchin’s brigade charged forward into the open ground, and entered the McDonald field north of this position.
It struck the left and passed along the front of Liddell’s Confederate division, capturing nearly two hundred prisoners, and forced the Confederate line across the Lafayette road. It then advanced to Dan McCook’s
Erected 1890 by War Department. (Marker Number MT-524.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • War, US Civil.
Location. 34° 56.172′ N, 85° 15.573′ W. Marker is in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Vittetoe Roads and LaFayette Road, on the left when traveling north on Vittetoe Roads. This tablet is located in the national park that preserves the site of the Chickamauga Battlefield. The marker is at the intersection of the Layayette and Vittetoe Roads. Layayette Road is heavily traveled. It is much safer to park on the side of Vittetoe Rd. From Vittetoe Road (parking) Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bridge's Illinois Battery-Light Artillery (a few steps from this marker); Helm's Brigade (a few steps from this marker); Bridges' Illinois Battery, Light Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); Kentucky State Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); To The Left of the Union Line (within shouting distance of this marker); Stovall's Brigade (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); J. Beatty's Brigade (about 400 feet away); Negley's Division (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
More about this marker. The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.
In locating this marker I used the "Chickamauga Battlefield" map, that I purchased at the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Visitor Center, to determine both the marker number for this marker and the marker's location in relation to the rest of the park's monuments, markers, and tablets. According to the map it provides the, "numerical listing of all monuments, markers, and tablets on the Chickamauga Battlefield (using the Chick-Chatt NMP Monument Numbering System).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Use this link to see the Brigade tablets for this Division.
Also see . . .
1. Death Knell of the Confederacy. Link to the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park web site. (Submitted on September 7, 2019, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
2. Battle of Chickamauga. Overview of the Battle of Chickamauga provided by the American Battlefield Trust. (Submitted on September 7, 2019, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2019, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 7, 2019, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.