Port Gibson in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Windsor Battlefield Tour
The Caucasian habitation of Claiborne County began as a settlement on the banks of Bayou Pierre, a venture which perished in 1729. Pioneers again attempted to settle Grand Gulf in 1775. In 1802 the County officially established and named for the Governor of the Mississippi Territory, W.C.C. Claiborne. Meantime, Samuel Gibson, in 1778 started a settlement known as Gibson's Landing. Located on the south fork of Bayou Pierre, the connecting link with the Mississippi River, "Gibson's Landing" thrived. When the was created, it became the County seat, and qualified as the third oldest settlement in the state. It was made a port of entry prior to the act of incorporation in 1811. "Gibson's Landing" became Port Gibson. In 1839 fire destroyed the entire business section of the original town. Descendants of the original settlers rebuilt it. The end of a rich era of progress ended abruptly when Grand Gulf and the Port became embattled and Federal forces made their most desperate advance towards Vicksburg. Port Gibson was spared the second fire, that was by General U.S.Grant.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil.
Location. 31° 57.045′ N, 90° 59.143′ W. Marker is in Port Gibson, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker can be reached from Church Street south of Horton Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1601 Church Street, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dependency (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Claiborne County (here, next to this marker); Samuel Gibson House (a few steps from this marker); Van Dorn House (a few steps from this marker); The Vicksburg Campaign and Siege (within shouting distance of this marker); Idlewild (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Spencer Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Heath Home (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Gibson.
More about this marker. Located on the grounds of the Port Gibson Camber of Commerce site. Marker is on the north side of the "Dependency" building behind the main building.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2019.