Ottawa, Ontario — Central Canada
Connaught Building / L’Édifice Connaught
Part of a grand design for the national capital in the early 20th century, this imposing building is a tangible expression of Prime Minister Sir Wilfrid Laurier’s vision for Ottawa. The eclectic combination of Gothic and Tudor Revival features, with castellated turrets and textured stonework, reflects the desire to create a distinctive architecture for the capital that was compatible with the Parliament buildings. Built between 1913 and 1916 to house government offices and a customs warehouse, the building was named for HRH the Duke of Connaught, then governor general of Canada.
Cet imposant bâtiment, qui fait partie d’un grand plan d’aménagement de la capitale nationale au début du XXe siècle, concrétise bien la vision du premier ministre Sir Wilfrid Laurier pour Ottawa. La combinaison éclectique d’êléments de style néogothique et néo-Tudor, tels les tourelles et la pierre au bossage rustique, vis à créer une architecture distinctive s’harmonisant à celle des édifices du Parlement. Construit entre 1913 et 1916 pour abriter des bureaux gouvernementaux et un entrepôt des
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board marker series.
Location. 45° 25.591′ N, 75° 41.686′ W. Marker is in Ottawa, Ontario. Marker is on Mackenzie Avenue (Route 93) 0.2 kilometers south of Murray Street (Route 44), on the left when traveling south. Marker is located beside the sidewalk just south of the Connaught Building main entrance on Mackenzie Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 555 Mackenzie Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario K1N 1K4, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Château Laurier / Le Château Laurier (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Rideau Waterway (about 180 meters away); Rideau Canal National Historic Site of Canada (about 180 meters away); The Commissariat (about 180 meters away); By Ward Market Heritage Conservation District (about 210 meters away); Lieutenant Colonel Charles-Michel d’Irumberry de Salaberry, CB (about 240 meters away); Sappers’ Bridge (about 240 meters away); Thayendanegea (Joseph Brant) (approx. 0.2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ottawa.
Regarding Connaught Building / L’Édifice Connaught. Classified Federal Heritage Building (1988) & Canadian National Historic Site #4029 (1990).
Also see . . . The Connaught Building. Designed in a Tudor Gothic style, the Connaught Building is an imposing government office building faced in randomly coursed rusticated sandstone. It is embellished with turrets, a crenellated roofline, buttresses, an ogee arched entrance and rows of flat-headed windows accented by dressed quoins. (Submitted on September 27, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Connaught Building / L’Édifice Connaught.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 27, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.