Atlanta in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Cross Keys
To distinguish the one from the other, this place was called Old Cross Keys & was thus cited in Federal dispatches, maps & reports of military operations here in 1864.
At this point, a brief contact was made between the marching columns of Dodge's 16th & Schofield's 23d A.C. July 18, both enroute to Decatur from Chattahoochee River crossings.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 044-7.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the Postal Mail and Philately series lists.
Location. 33° 53.524′ N, 84° 19.546′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2146 Johnson Ferry Road, Atlanta GA 30319, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dodge's 16th A.C. Camp on Nancy's Creek (approx. 0.8 miles away); Ivy Street (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Samuel House Plantation (approx. 1.1 miles away); Oglethorpe University (approx. 1.3 miles away); 1917 ✯ Camp Gordon ✯ 1919 (approx. 1.6 miles away); 1941 ✯ Naval Air Station Atlanta ✯ 1959 (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hascall's Div. Joins Cox's Line of March (approx. 2.1 miles away); Brookhaven Historic District (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,981 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 2, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on December 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.