Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Versailles in Morgan County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Morgan County

 
 
Morgan County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael E Sanchez, Jr., August 22, 2009
1. Morgan County Marker
Obverse
Inscription.  Morgan County, in Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks Region, was organized in 1833 and named for Revolutionary War Gen. Daniel Morgan. The lake, impounded by Bagnell Dam built on the Osage River in adjacent Miller County 1929-1931, extends into Morgan and forms most of its south border. Southern pioneers settled the area in the 1820's.

Versailles, the county seat, situated on a watershed divide crossing the county east to west, was laid out 1835. The townsite, selected by Commissioner Street Thurston, was given by Wyan and Galbraith, pioneer merchants. Millville, once near by, was settled by Josiah Walton, was the first county seat. Early schools were J.K. Gwynn's Male and Female Institute founded in 1885; and G.W. Innes' Academic and Normal Institute, 1892.

The famed 1858-61 Butterfield Overland Mail had relay stations in the county at Syracuse and Florence. From 1859, when the Pacific (Mo.Pac.) R.R. reached Syracuse, until Civil War activity closed the station in March, 1861, it was the east stagecoach terminus. In the war the county suffered guerrilla raids and troop movement.

Morgan County's 596 square mile area
Morgan County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael E Sanchez, Jr., August 22, 2009
2. Morgan County Marker
Reverse
is divided between Ozark hills on the south and open plains on the north. Resort and general farming county, Morgan at various times has been mined for lead, zinc, barite, tiff, iron, coal, clay. The Chicago, Rock Is. & Pac. R.R. reach Versailles in 1903 and Stover and Barnett, settled earlier, were laid out along the railroad route.

Among other county towns and communities are Gravois Mills and Florence, settled in 1830's; Syracuse, laid out 1859; and Rocky Mount, a post office by the 1870's. On a branch of the Mo. Pac., built to Versailles in 1881, Akinsville and Glensted were once active towns. The branch no longer operates.

French explorer Du Tisne crossed south Morgan County on an Osage Indian Trail, 1719, and Zebulon M. Pike's 1806 southwest expedition followed the Osage River then winding in and out of the county. The area, roamed by Indians into the 1830's, lies in the 1808 Osage Indian land cession. Points of interest include the courthouse built 1889 at Versailles; Jacobs Cave near there, and Collin's Spring near Gravois Mills.
 
Erected 1961 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
 
Location. 38° 25.888′ 
Morgan County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Michael E Sanchez, Jr., August 22, 2009
3. Morgan County Courthouse
N, 92° 50.502′ W. Marker is in Versailles, Missouri, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of East Newton Street and South Monroe Street (Missouri Highway W), on the right when traveling east on East Newton Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East Newton Street, Versailles MO 65084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Categories. Native AmericansRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
Morgan County Courthouse Sign image. Click for full size.
By Michael E Sanchez, Jr., March 21, 2015
4. Morgan County Courthouse Sign
 

More. Search the internet for Morgan County.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 10, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2019, by Michael E Sanchez, Jr. of Kansas City, Missouri. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 10, 2019, by Michael E Sanchez, Jr. of Kansas City, Missouri. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement