Ypsilanti in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ypsilanti Civil War Memorial
was presented by
Erected by the Women's
Relief Corps of Ypsilanti
in memory of the men who in
the War of the Great Rebellion
fought to uphold their
Memorial Day 1895
They died to make their country free
Erected 1895 by Mary Ann Starkweather and the Woman's Relief Corps of Ypsilanti.
Topics. This historical marker memorial is listed in these topic lists: War, US Civil • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
Location. 42° 15.228′ N, 83° 36.631′ W. Marker is in Ypsilanti, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is on North River Road, on the right when traveling north. Inside Highland Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 959 North River Road, Ypsilanti MI 48197, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Highland Cemetery (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Manufacturing History (approx. ¼ mile away); St. John the Baptist Catholic Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Michigan Central Freighthouse (approx. half a mile away); The Last Hudson Dealership (approx. half a mile away); The Oliver House (approx. half a mile away); The Real McCoy (approx. half a mile away); Michigan Central Railroad Gardens (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ypsilanti.
More about this memorial. The monument was erected by the Women's Relief Corps, the project beginning in 1891 with a donation of fifty dollars. The project slowed in 1893 when depression hit the county, and Mary Ann Starweather offered to give a matching donation of $1,000. Eventually, $3,500 to 4,000 was raised, and the monument was dedicated on Memorial Day, 1895.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2008, by Al Barrera of Brownstown, Michigan. This page has been viewed 1,452 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 5, 2008, by Al Barrera of Brownstown, Michigan. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.