Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clinton in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Mary Surratt House

 
 
The Mary Surratt House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, April 1, 2012
1. The Mary Surratt House Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1852 for the family of John and Mary Surratt. Restored in 1975 in recognition of the buildings national historical significance relating to the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln.
 
Erected 1975 by Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational AreasWar, US CivilWomen. In addition, it is included in the Booth's Escape series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
 
Location. 38° 45.886′ N, 76° 53.844′ W. Marker is in Clinton, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker can be reached from Brandywine Road (Maryland Route 381) just north of Horseshoe Road, on the right when traveling north. The marker is on the grounds of the house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9118 Brandywine Road, Clinton MD 20735, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Wilkes Booth (a few steps from this marker); Surratt Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
John Wilkes Booth (within shouting distance of this marker); Crucifix (approx. 0.2 miles away); Louise F. Cosca Regional Park (approx. 2.4 miles away); Thrift School (approx. 2.8 miles away); His Lordship’s Kindness (approx. 3 miles away); Slaves’ Infirmary [on His Lordship’s Kindness] (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clinton.
 
More about this marker.
[Organizational information:]
M-NCPPC Commissioners:
Royce Hanson, Chairman, W.C. Dutton, Jr., Vice Chairman, Edwin H. Brown, Mable Granke, Ann Hopper, George O. Kephart, Richmond M. Keeney, Raymond G. LaPlaca, Helen Scharf. Committee for the Restoration of the Mary Surratt House: Thomas S. Gwynn, Jr., Chairman, W.C. Dutton, Jr., Edward C. Freeman, Larry C. Manuel, Hon. Genella S. McGinniss, John A. Scheibel, Mrs. Blance Van De Ree, John M. Walton, Sr., Harrison Weymouth, Jr. Thomas V. Miller, Del. John W. Wolfgang.

Site purchased in 1968, House donated by Mr. and Mrs. B.K. Miller, Sr. Funds for the restoration provided by the United States Government, the State of Maryland,
The Mary Surratt House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), August 9, 2020
2. The Mary Surratt House Marker
the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission and Private Donors.

Restoration dedication October 2, 1975. Official opening May 1, 1976.
 
The Mary Surratt House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, April 1, 2012
3. The Mary Surratt House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 30, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 360 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 30, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland.   2. submitted on August 9, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   3. submitted on October 30, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=141912

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from qualified purchases you make on Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 5, 2023