Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Yuriria in Municipality of Yuriria, Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

Chapel of Santa María

Ruta de los Conventos - The Convent Route

 
 
Chapel of Santa María Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 21, 2019
1. Chapel of Santa María Marker
Inscription.  

Capilla Santa María
Yuriria es un lugar lleno de tradición, historia, atractivos naturales y diversas edificaciones civiles y religiosas, estas últimas abarcan desde edificios monumentales como el templo y antiguo convento de San Agustín, hasta discretas edificaciones, como la Capilla de Santa María.

Son pocos los datos que se tienen sobre esta capilla, se sabe, por ejemplo, que el inmueble data del año 1537 y que fue edificado a la llegada del evangelizador Fray Alonso de Alvarado, a quien se considera primer catequizador del lugar. Aquí se venera a Santa María del Socorro de los Pobres, la fiesta principal se celebra cada 25 de diciembre.

La capilla se localiza cerca del actual embarcadero de la Laguna de Yuriria, lugar de gran importancia por considerarse la primera gran obra hidráulica del siglo XVI, hecha también, por los religiosos españoles que llegaron a evangelizar en estas tierras.

Según datos históricos de Yuriria, después de que se consolidó la conquista de Michoacán, los españoles decidieron establecer una encomienda en el territorio del actual Yuriria, que fue cedida a Juan de Tovar.
Chapel of Santa María Marker English text image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 21, 2019
2. Chapel of Santa María Marker English text
La evangelización de los naturales estuvo a cargo de la orden religiosa de los frailes agustinos, quienes diseñaron y ejecutaron dos grandes proyectos que fueron determinantes para este poblado: el templo y convento de San Agustín y el canal de Taramatacheo, con el que se formó la Laguna de Yuriria.

De acuerdo con los datos del archivo parroquial, en 1548 llegó a Yuriria Fray Diego de Chávez y Alvarado, principal encargado de la construcción del monumental conjunto religioso y de la laguna. En esos documentos se indica que este personaje pasó algunas noches en un jacal de zacate, ubicado a un lado de la Capilla Santa María.

Por las fechas de conformación de la encomienda, de la llegada de religiosos de la construcción de la capilla, se puede especular que ésta fue una de las primeras edificaciones religiosas fundadas en este lugar.

English translation:
Chapel of Santa María
Yuriria is a place full of tradition, history, natural attractions and various civil and religious buildings, the latter ranging from monumental buildings such as the Church and old Convent of San Agustín, to discrete buildings, including the Chapel of Santa María.

There is few data about this chapel, we know, for example that the building started in 1537 and was built at the arrival of the evangelist Friar Alonso de Alvarado, who is considered the
Chapel of Santa María and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 21, 2019
3. Chapel of Santa María and Marker
The chapel is behind the marker but difficult to see in this view.
first catechist of the place. Santa Maria del Socorro de los Pobres is worshiped here, the main festival is held each December on the 25th.

The chapel is located near the current pier of the Yuriria lagoon, a very important hydraulic work considered the first major labor of the XVI century also made by the Spanish priests who came to evangelize these lands.

According to historical data from Yuriria, after the conquest of Michoacán was consolidated, the Spaniards decided to establish a parcel in the territory of what is now Yuriria, which was given to Juan de Tovar. The evangelization of the indigenous was in charge of the religious order of the Augustinians friars, who designed and implemented two major projects that were critical to this town: the church and convent of San Agustin and the Taramatacheo channel with which the Yuriria Lagoon was formed.

According to data from the parish archives in 1548 Friar Diego de Chávez y Alvarado came to Yuriria responsible of the construction of the monumental religious complex and the lagoon. These documents indicate that this man spent a few nights in a hut made of grass, located next to the Chapel of Santa Maria.

From the dates of the creation of the entrustment, the arrival of religious men and the construction of the chapel, we can speculate that this was one of the first religious buildings erected here.
Chapel of Santa María, seen through the entry gate image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 21, 2019
4. Chapel of Santa María, seen through the entry gate

 
Location. 20° 13.187′ N, 101° 8.217′ W. Marker is in Yuriria, Guanajuato, in Municipality of Yuriria. Marker is on Calle Santa María just north of Del Cerrito Colorado, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Yuriria, Guanajuato 38940, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lake Yuriria (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Sanctuary of the Virgen de Guadalupe (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Former Convent of San Agustín (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Convent of Saint Augustine of Yuriria (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Monument to Friar Diego de Chávez (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); General José María Magaña (approx. one kilometer away); Miguel Hidalgo in Yuriria (approx. one kilometer away); The Yuriria Cultural Center (approx. one kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yuriria.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial EraMan-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels
 
An additional Chapel of Santa María Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 21, 2019
5. An additional Chapel of Santa María Marker
This additional marker appears to have been placed on the church in 1987 on its 450th anniversary.
 

More. Search the internet for Chapel of Santa María.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 1, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 35 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 1, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement