Lemuel Grant's Perimeter "Line of Defenses"
— Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail —
Grant originally designed the perimeter with 19 artillery forts, each having four to six cannon connected by rifle-pits. Through the fall of 1863 Grant oversaw construction, built by hundreds of slaves. Each slave was hired for $1 per day or $25 per month paid to their master. Where the defensive lines crossed private property fields were dug-up and houses were torn down, even on Grant's own land. Trees were cut down to create clear fields of fire.
The original circle of fortifications
At first the forts had only alphabetic designations. You are standing at fortification "R" almost two miles from the city's center. To include this prominent hill within the lines a bulge of extra works as created outside the main perimeter. Grant also began planning for extensions to the northeast and northwest of the city which were hastily constructed as Federal armies approached.
When Union Major General William T. Sherman's armies approached Atlanta in July 1864 they found before them the third most heavily fortified city on the continent, after Richmond, Virginia and Washington DC. The Confederate earthworks were judged by Sherman "to strong to assault and too extensive to invest [besiege]." As a result this fort never came under enemy fire. The closest fighting to this fort occurred 1/2 mile northeast, the Battle of Atlanta on July 22, 1864, famously depicted by the Cyclorama. In that battle, Confederate Major General William H.T. Walker was killed, and his name was subsequently given to this fort.
After the fall of Atlanta in September 1864 the Federal army occupied the works. General Sherman gave orders to build a more compact line closer to the city than Lemuel Grant's works. In 1882 Grant donated 100 acres to the city of Atlanta and "Grant Park" was named in his honor. Later enlarged, it is Atlanta's oldest park.
Erected by Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails, Inc. (Marker Number 30.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 33° 43.974′ N, 84° 22.113′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on Boulevard SE south of Ormewood Avenue SE, on the right when traveling south. Marker is just inside the entrance road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 783 Boulevard SE, Atlanta GA 30308, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. This Line of Breastworks (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fort Walker (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grant Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Roosevelt High School (approx. half a mile away); To Robert Burns (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Hanging of Andrews Raiders (approx.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on Fort Walker. (Submitted on November 11, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Fort Walker.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 47 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 11, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.