Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Dr. Frederick K. and Lucy Adelaide Fisher House

 
 
Dr. Frederick K. and Lucy Adelaide Fisher House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jim Evans, November 10, 2019
1. Dr. Frederick K. and Lucy Adelaide Fisher House Marker
Inscription.  

Dr. Frederick K. Fisher (1852-1920) and his wife Lucy Adelaide (Selkirk) (1856-1939) purchased this property in February 1888 and had this house built that same year. Both members of pioneer Texas families, the Fishers were active in local civic organizations. Dr. Fisher, who had served as State Quarantine Officer at Indianola prior to its destruction in the hurricane of 1886, continued his career as quarantine officer at Galveston following his move here. He shared office space with his brother, Dr. William Fisher. A third brother, Walter, was a pharmacist.

Walter Fisher, his wife, and all but one of their children were killed during the 1900 storm which devastated Galveston Island. Frederick and Adelaide Fisher adopted their orphaned nephew, F. Kenner Fisher, and reared him in this house. After his sudden death at age 11 in 1912, they donated land to St. Mary's Orphanage for a park in his memory.

A fine local example of the Victorian-era stick style of architecture, the Fisher house exhibits hallmark features of the style, including jigsawn and turned-wood porch detailing and imbricated shingle work. It remains an
Dr. Frederick K. and Lucy Adelaide Fisher House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jim Evans, November 10, 2019
2. Dr. Frederick K. and Lucy Adelaide Fisher House and Marker
The marker can be seen here to the far right in this view.
Click or scan to see
this page online
important element in Galveston's cultural and architectural history.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1992
 
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7450.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureMan-Made FeaturesScience & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
 
Location. 29° 17.304′ N, 94° 48.194′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Bernardo de Galvez Avenue and 35th Street, on the right when traveling east on Bernardo de Galvez Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3503 Bernardo de Galvez Avenue, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Samuel May Williams (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Williams-Tucker House, 1837-40 (about 400 feet away); Powhatan House (about 600 feet away); Baden-Sproule House (about 800 feet away); The Mexican Telegraph Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Home of Michel Branamour Menard (approx. Ό mile away); Thomas Henry Borden (approx. Ό mile away); Galveston Artillery Club (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 162 times since then and 39 times this year. Last updated on November 18, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 13, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=142759

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jul. 1, 2022