Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Ringgold in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Ringgold Depot

A Survivor of Battle

 

Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails

 
The Ringgold Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, November 20, 2019
1. The Ringgold Depot Marker
Inscription.  This sandstone depot, located on the Civil War-era Western and Atlantic Railroad, was built around 1849. The first train steamed into the new station on May 9, 1850. The depot witnessed a variety of activity throughout the War. On April 12, 1862, the “Great Locomotive Chase,” also known as “Andrews Raid,” raced past here. Confederates on the locomotive “Texas” finally captured Federal agents on the locomotive “General” only two miles north. Numerous buildings in Ringgold were used as Confederate hospitals during 1862 and 1863, serving thousands of sick and wounded soldiers.

On November 27, 1863, following the Confederate defeat at the Battle of Missionary Ridge two days earlier, the depot became a significant landmark during the Battle of Ringgold Gap. A Confederate division commanded by Major General Patrick R. Cleburne defended Ringgold Gap and White Oak Mountain. Cleburne's men had the assignment of holding the gap long enough to cover the wagon trains of the retreating Confederate Army of Tennessee heading south toward Dalton. Federal troops commanded

The Ringgold Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, November 20, 2019
2. The Ringgold Depot Marker
by Major General Joseph Hooker pursued the Confederates into Ringgold. Many of the Federals massed behind the depot and the adjacent railroad embankment before being ordered to attack the Confederate positions. For his successful stand at Ringgold Gap, Cleburne later received the thanks of the Confederate Congress.

During the five-hour engagement, Ringgold Depot served as a headquarters for General Hooker. In the closing stages of the battle Union Major Generals Ulysses S. Grant and William T. Sherman joined Hooker. An eyewitness noted that the famous trio “went to examining their maps in front of the Depot.” As the three generals conferred, quite a number of soldiers gathered round to gaze at the celebrated chiefs.” After the battle Grant's staff secured a “handsome, new two story Brick house” standing a short distance north of the depot for use by the top Union commander. This residence, the wartime home of Ringgold merchant William L. Whitman, still stands on Tennessee Street. When the men of General Hooker's command evacuated Ringgold on December 1, 1863, they destroyed much of the town. Numerous explosions also damaged the depot. The following spring and summer of 1864 the Western and Atlantic Railroad served as the main supply line for General Sherman's armies during the Atlanta Campaign.

The Ringgold Depot image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, November 20, 2019
3. The Ringgold Depot
Dozens of trains carrying Federal troops and supplies rolled past the Ringgold Depot almost every day. Repairs to the depot's walls in the late 1860s are still clearly evident today. It is a survivor of battle.
 
Erected by Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails, Inc. (Marker Number 7.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 34° 54.904′ N, 85° 6.451′ W. Marker is in Ringgold, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Depot Street and Nashville Street (U.S. 41), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 155 Depot Street, Ringgold GA 30736, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Western & Atlantic Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Chickamauga (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Actions At Ringgold (approx. 0.2 miles away); Catoosa County War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Hospitals (approx. 0.2 miles away); Catoosa County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Flame of Freedom (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Whitman House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ringgold.
 
More about this marker. This marker is along the "historic driving route" of the Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail.
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsScience & MedicineWar, US Civil
 
Nearby marker about this Western & Atlantic Depot. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, November 20, 2019
4. Nearby marker about this Western & Atlantic Depot.
 

More. Search the internet for The Ringgold Depot
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 26, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement