Marietta Confederate Cemetery
"Garden of Heroes"
— Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail —
The greatest expansion of the cemetery took place after the war. In 1866, the Georgia Legislature appropriated $3,500 to collect the remains of Confederate soldiers who fell elsewhere and bring them to Marietta for reburial. Catherine Winn of the Ladies' Aid Society and Mary Green of the Georgia Memorial Association spearheaded the recovery effort. They organized groups of women to search for soldiers killed on the battlefields at Chickamauga, Ringgold, Kennesaw Mountain, Kolb
As the original wooden grave markers weathered away, the names of soldiers buried here were lost. In 1902, caretakers replaced the wooden markers with plain marble markers. The Ladies' Memorial Association turned the property over to the State of Georgia in 1908. That same year the Kennesaw Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy dedicated the tall marble veterans' monument "To Our Confederate Dead." Former Confederate Brigadier General Clement A. Evans referred to the cemetery as "a rare garden of heroes" when he helped dedicate the monument.
In 1910, an act of Congress returned Marietta's “Little Cannon” to the cemetery from an arsenal in Watervilet, New York. Captured near Savannah in 1864, its , 6-pounder barrel had originally been cast before the war for the Georgia Military Institute's use. The barrels Latin inscription, “Victrix fortunae Sapientia," translates to “Wisdom, the Victor over Fortune."
Also in 1910, fifteen identical markers were placed among the cemetery's headstones, One marker was placed for each of the eleven Confederate states, plus one for Kentucky, a single one for Maryland and Missouri, one for the Confederate Soldiers Home section, and one for the Hospital section. More than 3,000 Confederate
The Confederate Soldiers Home section includes the grave of Bill Yopp, an African- American drummer for the 14th Georgia Infantry Regiment. Born into slavery near Dublin, Georgia, Bill was the personal servant of Thomas Yopp. When Thomas joined the Confederate army, he took Bill with him. Bill performed various tasks for the soldiers, always charging ten cents. He gained the nickname “Ten Cent Bill.”
In his later years, Bill, who
took the last name of his
former master, re-joined
Thomas Yopp at the
Confederate Soldiers Home.
Bill Yopp was made a member
of the United Confederate
Veterans before dying in 1936.
Erected by Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails, Inc. (Marker Number 22.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 33° 56.745′ N, 84° 32.937′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker can be reached from West Atlanta Street SE north of Confederate Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: West Atlanta Street SE, Marietta GA 30064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Cemetery (here, next to this marker); U.D.C. Confederate Soldiers Monument
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on the Marietta Confederate Cemetery. (Submitted on November 26, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Marietta Confederate Cemetery.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 26, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.