The Canal Store
Dromineer in the 19th century-especially before the coming of the railway to Nenagh in 1863-was in a real sense the port of northwest Tipperary. Dromineer was the transit point for much of the commercial traffic for the area, including the canal barge traffic, which was at its height in the mid 19th c. The Canal Store was built by the Grand Canal Company in the early 1850's to accommodate this activity. From Dromineer, the goods were carted by horse and dray to the town of Nenagh and other local destinations. Also, much of the agricultural produce of the Nenagh hinterland found its way to Dromineer for dispatch via lake, river and canal to markets in Limerick or Dublin, or often further afield in Liverpool, Bradford or Glasgow. For over 100 years the Canal Store was at the heart of commerce in the area as various craft carrying both passengers and goods called into Dromineer. Trading continued until 1950 when the Canal Store closed, though barges still plied from Dublin to Limerick up until 1960.
Erected by Dromineer & District Development Association.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Dromineer Castle (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line).
Also see . . . Grand Canal (Ireland) at Wikipedia. (Submitted on December 1, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for The Canal Store.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 33 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 1, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.