Munising in Alger County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Munising Public Dock
With the discovery of iron ore in Marquette County in 1844 and the opening of the Sault Locks in 1855, commerce and travel boomed on Lake Superior. Munising served not only as a port, but also as a harbor of refuge during storms. The first Munising dock was constructed of wood and included a rail line for unloading coal.
This exhibit was made possible through a donation from the Brumm family, the City of Munising, and the National Park Service.
Erected by Brumm family; the City of Munising; and the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 46° 24.78′ N, 86° 39.225′ W. Marker is in Munising, Michigan, in Alger County. Marker can be reached from Elm Avenue 0.1 miles north of East Munising Avenue (State Highway 28), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located at the north end of Elm Avenue, near the northwest Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 355 Elm Avenue, Munising MI 49862, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shipwrecks of the Alger Underwater Preserve (within shouting distance of this marker); Russell A. Alger (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Grand Island Nishnaabe (approx. 8 miles away); Face in the Rock (approx. 8 miles away); Lake Superior (approx. 8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 9, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 77 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 9, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.