Cumming in Forsyth County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cumming Historic Cemetery
In 1834, Moses Whitsett was the first person buried on the property which in 1840 became the cemetery for the Baptist Church and the Presbyterian Church. In 1856, the Presbyterian Church disbanded. When the Baptist Church relocated, the cemetery became the property of the City of Cumming, which is the County Seat of Forsyth. Some of Cumming's earliest leaders are interred in the municipal cemetery. Included are William H. Ray, Aulston B. Welborn, H.L. and Almon Hutchins, E.C. McAfee, Rufus E. Guthrie, George and Thomas Willingham, Haynie S. Brooks, Henry Hurt, A.C. Kennemore, Henry Lowndes Patterson and Col. Hiram Parks Bell; a lawyer, author, orator, Mason, Civil War soldier and U.S. Congressman.
Erected 2002 by Historical Society of Forsyth County.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
Location. 34° 12.257′ N, 84° 8.289′ W. Marker is in Cumming, Georgia, in Forsyth County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cumming GA 30041, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Forsyth County War Memorial (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Forsyth County Courthouse Cornerstone Removed (about 800 feet away); Lynching in America / Lynching in Forsyth County (about 800 feet away); Forsyth County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colonel William Cumming (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cumming School (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Federal Road (approx. 5.1 miles away); Fowler Family Farm (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumming.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,317 times since then and 154 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 12, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.