Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Kingston Springs in Cheatham County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Mound Bottom

 
 
Mound Bottom Marker image. Click for full size.
By Darren Jefferson Clay, December 26, 2019
1. Mound Bottom Marker
Inscription.  Across the river are the remains of an 800-year old town built by ancient Native American Indians. Almost surrounded by the river, it was also guarded by a high palisade wall. A large temple mound and several smaller mounds surrounded an open plaza. Archaeologists believe this town had important political and ceremonial functions. It is currently owned by the State of Tennessee.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3C 58.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & ArchaeologyNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 36° 8.17′ N, 87° 5.914′ W. Marker is near Kingston Springs, Tennessee, in Cheatham County. Marker is on Cedar Hill Road 0.4 miles south of Mound Creek Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1325 Cedar Hill Road, Kingston Springs TN 37082, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies
Mound Bottom Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, March 8, 2020
2. Mound Bottom Marker
As seen while traveling north on Cedar Hill Road. Scott Cemetery is in the background.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Patterson Forge (approx. 0.9 miles away); Connection To Johnsonville (approx. 2.7 miles away); Newsom's Mill (approx. 7 miles away); The Civil War in White Bluffs (approx. 7.3 miles away); Braxton Lee Homestead (approx. 9.1 miles away); Centenary United Methodist Church / Rev. William Gower (1776-1851) (approx. 9.3 miles away); Smith Farmhouse (approx. 9.6 miles away); Cheatham County Courthouse (approx. 9.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston Springs.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2019, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 26, 2019, by Darren Jefferson Clay of Duluth, Georgia.   2. submitted on March 9, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=143825

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2021