Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Confederate Soldiers' Home
"We have a home in the true sense of the word for the old boys"
Life for camp residents revolved around a semimilitary routine of chores, inspections, meals, and leisure activities. In 1904 resident Benjamin J. Rogers described the facility as a "home in the true sense." Altogether a total of nearly three thousand veterans from thirty-three states resided here. Following the death of the last resident, ownership of the soldiers' home buildings and grounds transferred to the Commonwealth of Virginia.
R.E. Lee Camp Confederate Soldiers' Home
The open area behind you once served as the central grounds of the soldiers' home. Around the oak-filled park stood the administration building, barracks, dining hall, hospital, recreation hall, steam plant, and assorted outbuildings. Ten residential
"Our rooms are furnished with two single iron bedsteads... a good mattress, bureau, washstand, pitcher and bowl, and two chambers. We are required to sweep them out every morning and carry out our slops....They give us a hat, overcoat, full suit of uniform, four pair shoes a year, soap, tobacco, chewing or smoking...undershirts and drawers, top shirts...socks, towels and color handkerchiefs."
—Resident Benjamin J. Rogers, 1904
Home for Confederate Women
In 1932, this monumental building opened as a privately run residence for destitute female relatives of Confederate veterans. After its board voted to close the facility in 1989, the Commonwealth of Virginia became the building's owner and transferred its care to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Today the renovated and renamed Stan and Dorothy Pauley Center houses museum offices and meeting rooms.
Funded through private donations and state support, the Home for Confederate Women was designed by architect Merrill Lee, who was inspired by the neoclassical motifs of the White House. Its soaring ionic portico fronts
Erected by Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
Location. 37° 33.388′ N, 77° 28.552′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Sheppard Street and Hanover Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Located behind the Pauley Center at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 North Sheppard Street, Richmond VA 23221, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Residential Life at R. E. Lee Camp, No.1 (here, next to this marker); The Home For Needy Confederate Women (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Memorial Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Confederate Memorial Chapel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Robinson House (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Robinson House (about 400 feet away); Rumors of War (about 600 feet away); Park Lane (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . . Old Marker at this Location. This marker replaced an older one at this location titled “Residential Life at (Submitted on December 30, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2019, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 27, 2019, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. 2. submitted on April 19, 2011. 3, 4. submitted on December 27, 2019, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.