Ste. Genevieve in Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Welcome to Sainte Genevieve Parish
After the town of Ste. Genevieve moved from its original location near the edge of the Mississippi River, the first of three Catholic churches to occupy this site was built. It was a vertical log building. As the congregation grew in size, a larger church, built of stone in 1830, replaced the original church. The main body of the present church was completed in 1880. It was constructed around and over the second church and the foundation is still visible in the basement (not open to the public). Interestingly, as the construction was being completed, the second church was dismantled and carried out of the front door.
Built at a cost of $24,000, the project was greatly aided by Mrs. Odile Pratte Valle who donated $18,000 to the effort. Because of her great generosity to the parish, our schools are named Valle Schools in her honor. This present building was completed in 1911 when the sanctuary and the two transepts were added. Presently, the church is 175 feet long, 55 feet high on
Buried beneath the church are: Francois Corset, longtime choirmaster of the parish, who died in 1789; Francois Valle, commandant of Ste. Genevieve from 1796 to 1804, and his wife, Marie Carpentier Valle; Father Jacques Maxwell, pastor of Ste. Genevieve from 1797 to 1814; and Father Henri Pratte, native of Ste. Genevieve and first Catholic Priest born west of the Mississippi, pastor from 1816 to 1822.
Displayed in the church is a painting depicting Sainte Genevieve receiving a cross and a medal from the bishops of Troyes and Auxerre, France. This painting was given to the parish by Louis Phillipe, later King of France. It was painted in 1772. The stone bowl in the baptismal font is said to have been in constant use in the parish since the baptism of the first child here.
The stone building next to the church was built in 1835 and was originally intended to serve as a college. However, the pastor was unable to persuade the Christian Brothers to staff such a school so he made the building into his rectory until 1847 when it was first used as a school building.
We hope you enjoy your stay in Ste. Genevieve and that you find our church to be a genuine inspiration.
Donated by Pete and Lu Bauman
Location. 37° 58.752′ N, 90° 2.81′ W. Marker is in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri, in Ste. Genevieve County. Marker is on Dubourg Place just south of Merchant Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is mounted next to the main entrance of the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 49 Dubourg Place, Sainte Genevieve MO 63670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. El Camino Real (within shouting distance of this marker); First Brick House West of Mississippi River (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sainte Genevieve (approx. 0.2 miles away); Merchants Bank / Ste. Genevieve Savings Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Louis Bolduc House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Illinois in the American Revolution (approx. 8.2 miles away in Illinois); The Liberty Bell of the West (approx. 8.2 miles away in Illinois); Lewis and Clark in Kaskaskia (approx. 8.2 miles away in Illinois). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ste. Genevieve.
Also see . . .
1. Sainte Genevieve Catholic Parish. Official website for the church. (Submitted on January 3, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
2. Ste. Genevieve Catholic Church on Wikipedia . Wikipedia page for the church, which contains more history of the historic place. (Submitted on January 3, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Welcome to Sainte Genevieve Parish.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2020. This page originally submitted on January 3, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 3, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.