St. Louis, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Honoring the German-American Press: The Naked Truth Monument
Placed near the intersection of Grand and Lafayette in Reservoir Park, the monument stood near the turn-of-the-century mansions in Compton Heights and surrounding areas built for German-Americans. The monument was dedicated on May 24, 1914, just two months before the outbreak of the First World War.
Led by beer baron Adolphus Busch, German-Americans in St. Louis raised funds to commission a sculpture to honor three German-American newspapermen. A jury reviewed six designs and selected the proposal of German artist Wilhelm Wandschneider over prominent local artists.
Controversy erupted over the design depicting truth as an unclothed woman with arms spread wide. After much drama, a hasty voyage to America by the sculptor and his wife, and extensive media coverage, the jury again endorsed Wandschneider's design. The medium was changed
The monument's inscription states that "it ever was their lofty aim and steady purpose to prove true to the land of their adoption and to serve it faithfully and well."
The construction of Interstate 44 through the northern edge of Reservoir Park forced the statue to be moved from its original location in 1969. The monument received city landmark designation that same year.
The Water Tower & Park Preservation Society oversaw restoration of the bronze statue, monument and grounds from 2012 to 2014. Vlad Zhitomirsky recreated the missing medallions from historic photographs. A generous grant from the Norman J. Stupp Foundation underwrote the landscaping.
Europa, representing European culture, crosses the Atlantic on a bull. This medallion honors Schurz.
St. George Medallion
St. George is slaying a dragon which serves as a classic symbol of evil and ignorance. This medallion honors Preetorius.
The young boy is holding a small globe, symbolizing the knowledge brought to the New World. This medallion honors Daenzer.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch published this editorial cartoon on May 28, 1913 entitled "Back to Germany" during the outcry over the proposed design.
Erected 2014 by The Water Tower & Park Preservation Society.
Location. 38° 36.875′ N, 90° 14.341′ W. Marker is in St. Louis, Missouri. Marker is on South Grand Boulevard, on the right when traveling north. Marker is behind the Naked Truth Statue, which is part of Compton Hill Reservoir Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1700 South Grand Boulevard, Saint Louis MO 63104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 3014-26 South Grand Boulevard (approx. 0.8 miles away); 3101-13 South Grand Boulevard (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Dickmann Building (approx. 0.9 miles away); 3121-23 South Grand Boulevard (approx. 0.9 miles away); 3127 South Grand Boulevard (approx. 0.9 miles away); 3137-39 South Grand Boulevard (approx. 0.9 miles away); 3141-45 South Grand Boulevard (approx. 0.9 miles away); 3609-13 Juniata Street (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Louis.
Also see . . . Water Tower & Park Preservation Society. This is the group that has done a lot of efforts in preserving Compton Hill Reservoir Park. Link is shown on the marker. (Submitted on January 9, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Communications • Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Roads & Vehicles •
More. Search the internet for Honoring the German-American Press: The Naked Truth Monument.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2020. This page originally submitted on January 9, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 9, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.