Gahanna in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Big Walnut Creek Flood of Jan-Feb 1959
“Encroachment on flood plains, such as artificial fill, reduces the flood-carrying capacity, increases the flood heights of streams, and increases flood hazards in areas beyond the encroachment itself. One aspect of flood plain management involves balancing the economic gain from flood plain development against the resulting increase in flood hazard.” Federal Emergency Management Agency, February 1, 1983.
This boulder brought from Canada by the Great Ice Age glaciers, was donated by the Prince Family of Champaign County, Ohio.
Park donated by Earl “Beck” Lintner — Landscaping donated by Warwicks Kiwanis EMH&T
Erected by Ohio Department of Natural Resources, City of Gahanna.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Environment • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical date for this entry is February 1, 1778.
Location. 40° 1.353′ N, 82° 52.775′ W. Marker is in Gahanna, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Mill Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43230, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gahanna Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mifflin Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Log House (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Clark House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans of Foreign Wars Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Original Port Columbus Airport Terminal (approx. 2˝ miles away); Forest Lawn Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.2 miles away); Norton Field (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gahanna.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,946 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 15, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.