Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Edina in Knox County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Edina

 
 
Edina Marker front image. Click for full size.
By Michael E Sanchez, Jr., October 19, 2018
1. Edina Marker front
Inscription.  Edina, the seat of Knox County, was laid out here in the glacial plains of northeast Missouri, 1839, by W.J. Smallwood. Scotsman S.W.B. Carnegy, who surveyed the new town, named it the poetic form of Edinburgh. The county, formed 1843 and organized 1845, is named for Rev. War Gen. Henry Knox. An area rich in soil and water resources, Knox County lies in territory ceded by the Iowa, Sac, and Fox Indians in 1824. Some 70 Indian mounds have been found in the county.

The county was first settled near Newark, to the south, by James Fresh in 1833. Early pioneers coming mainly from Ohio, Indiana, Maryland, and Kentucky were followed by a large Irish immigration and also a number if Germans in the late 1830’s. One of the first Catholic parishes in northeast Missouri was St. Joseph’s, formed here in 1837. Today’s St. Joseph Church was built, 1873-75.

Early schools in Edina were St. Joseph’s Academy (now a grade school) founded, 1865; Lyon Academy, 1866; Edina Seminary (Know Collegiate Institute), 1878; St. Joseph’s College for Boys, 1883; and at Novelty, to the south. Was Oaklawn College, founded in 1876.

Centered in rolling
Edina Marker back image. Click for full size.
By Michael E Sanchez, Jr., October 19, 2018
2. Edina Marker back
prairie land of Knox County, a grain and livestock farming area, Edina lies north of the South Fork of the Fabius (name probably derived from early trapper). Also in the county are North and Middle Fabius and the Salt and North Rivers.

During the Civil War, Edina was occupied July 30, 1861, by Colonel M.E. Green and the pro-Southern State Guards. At Newark, Union troops led by Capt. W.W. Lair surrendered to Confederates under Col. Joseph C. Porter, August 1, 1862, after a sharp skirmish. In the railroad boom after the war, Knox County subscribed $184,000 in bonds by 1870 to the unsuccessful Mo. and Miss. Railroad. By 1899 the debt was paid. The Quincy, Mo., and Pac. R.R. (C.B. & Q.) reached Edina, 1872.

Edina was the birthplace of noted jurist George Turner (1850-1932). Union General T.T. Taylor edited an Edina newspaper, 1868-73, and Confederate Capt. Griffin Frost, author of "Camp and Prison Journal," edited another paper here, 1874-1905. Henry E. Sever, book publisher, born near Hurdland to the south, bequeathed $100,000 to Knox County for a Wildlife Sanctuary, 1941."
 
Erected 1957 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
 
Location. 40° 10.06′ N, 92° 10.311′ W. Marker is in Edina, Missouri, in Knox County
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
. Marker is on East Lafayette (Missouri Route 6) just west of North 4th, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Edina MO 63537, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
More about this marker. 69 feet west of North fourth St on the north side of East Lafayette on the historic courthouse lawn
 
Categories. AgricultureAnimalsAnthropology & ArchaeologyChurches & ReligionCommunicationsEducationNative AmericansRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & SettlersWar, US CivilWar, US Revolutionary
 

More. Search the internet for Edina.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 14, 2020. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2020, by Michael E Sanchez, Jr. of Kansas City, Missouri. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2020, by Michael E Sanchez, Jr. of Kansas City, Missouri. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement