Near Ferry Farm in Stafford County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
A second ferry was established in 1734 a short distance upstream from here. Both could be reached by the ferry road cutting through the Washington plantation. The Washingtons never owned or operated either ferry. They seem to have regarded them as nuisances, especially after 1745, when Spotsylvania County made the lower ferry a free crossing. "I think we suffer enough with the Free Ferry," seventeen-year old George Washington complained in 1749.
The ferry landing was moved to the foot of this hill in
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & Vehicles • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1726.
Location. 38° 17.757′ N, 77° 27.006′ W. Marker is near Ferry Farm, Virginia, in Stafford County. Marker can be reached from King's Highway (State Highway 3), on the right when traveling south. Located on the walking trail for the Washington's Boyhood Home site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fredericksburg VA 22405, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Civil War at Ferry Farm (a few steps from this marker); The Washington Plantation (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington’s Childhood Home (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fredericksburg's Wharves and Harbor (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Washington’s Boyhood Home at Ferry Farm (approx. 0.2 miles away); Creek Delegation in Fredericksburg George Washington Boyhood Home Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fredericksburg City Dock (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ferry Farm.
More about this marker. The main part of the marker displays the John Gadsby Chapman painting, "Fredericksburg from the Old Mansion of the Washington Family," c. 1833.
Also see . . . Ferry Farm. The Ferry Farm site is maintained by the George Washington Foundation of Fredericksburg. (Submitted on December 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 845 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.