Fernandina Beach in Nassau County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort Clinch Military Road
Fernandina Plaza Historic State Park
In 1847, with the start of the fort’s construction, military engineers realized the necessity to create a road that would connect Fort Clinch to Old Fernandina. The road would serve as a vital lifeline for the movement of soldiers, supplies and civilian workers involved in the construction of the fort.
With the outbreak of war in 1861, Confederate forces stationed in Old Fernandina seized control of the fort for the Southern cause by way of the military road. After eleven months of occupation, Southern forces evacuated Fort Clinch along the same route. Union forces regained control of the fort and would use this road throughout their military occupation (1862–1865).
The road was 8 feet wide, 4 feet high and stretched for 1 mile. Two paralleling trenches were dug on either side of the road with dirt placed in the middle to create the road bed. Timbers were then laid across the bed to act as additional reinforcement and were again covered with more dirt. Because of the road’s resemblance to a popular fabric of the era; this construction method is known as a corduroy road. The two trenches allowed to drain off
Erected by Florida State Parks and Friends of Fort Clinch.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Parks & Recreational Areas • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
Location. 30° 41.323′ N, 81° 27.413′ W. Marker is in Fernandina Beach, Florida, in Nassau County. Marker is at the intersection of Estrada Street and White Street, on the right when traveling south on Estrada Street. Marker located within the Fernandina Plaza Historic State Park. There is an identical marker located within the Fort Clinch State Park approximately 1 mile from this marker. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 715 San Fernando St, Fernandina Beach FL 32034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shipwreck, Slavery and Survival (here, next to this marker); 6-Pound Cannon (here, next to this marker); The Plaza (a few steps from this marker); The UNESCO Slave Route Project: Resistance, Liberty, Heritage (a few steps from this marker); Fort San Carlos (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza San Carlos Old Town (approx. ¼ mile away); McClure's Hill (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fernandina Beach.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 23, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 208 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 23, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.