New Iberia in Iberia Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South-Central)
Land was an original Spanish Grant to Francois Pellerin. Property then owned successively by the Sterling, Peebles and finally the Wyche families. This plantation has produced sugar since the late 19th century and is site of unusual water powered sugarmill. The house was destroyed by fire in 1947.
Erected 1971 by The Louisiana Tourist Commission.
Location. 30° 2.499′ N, 91° 48.479′ W. Marker is in New Iberia, Louisiana, in Iberia Parish. Marker is on Belmont Road (State Highway 86) 0.3 miles west of Daspit Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Iberia LA 70560, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Episcopal Church Of The Epiphany (approx. 2.4 miles away); A Walk of Faith (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Erath Building (approx. 2.4 miles away); Mt. Carmel Academy (approx. 2½ miles away); Lieutenant Colonel Francisco Bouligny (approx. 2½ miles away); Louisiana's First Black Female Physician Dr. Emma Wakefield~Paillet The Steamboat Era (approx. 2½ miles away); Sugar Cane Festival and Fair Building (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Iberia.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Belmont Plantation.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 15, 2020. This page originally submitted on February 14, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 14, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.