Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Conowingo in Cecil County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

A Susquehannock Indian Fort

 
 
A Susquehannock Indian Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, July 21, 2007
1. A Susquehannock Indian Fort Marker
Inscription.  A Susquehannock Indian fort located at this point was an important factor in the boundary line controversy between Lord Baltimore and William Penn in 1683.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraForts and CastlesNative Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1683.
 
Location. 39° 39.701′ N, 76° 9.512′ W. Marker is near Conowingo, Maryland, in Cecil County. Marker is on Susquehanna River Road (Maryland Route 222) 0.8 miles south of Conowingo Road (U.S. 1), on the left when traveling south. (US 222 southern end was placed again at US 1 at Conowingo, and what was US 222 to south of US 1 became state route 222.). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Conowingo MD 21918, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Susquehanna River fishing (approx. 0.9 miles away); Conowingo (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lafayette at Colonel Rigbie’s House (approx. 2.6 miles away); Stafford Flint Furnace
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 2.7 miles away); Berkley Crossroads (approx. 2.7 miles away); Bald Friar Ford & Ferry (approx. 2.7 miles away); Keziah's Diary (approx. 2.7 miles away); Smith’s Falls (approx. 3.4 miles away).
 
Regarding A Susquehannock Indian Fort. The controversy was resolved with the boundary surveyed by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon between 1763 and 1767—the “Mason-Dixon Line.”
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 3,374 times since then and 72 times this year. Last updated on February 27, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photo   1. submitted on July 21, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=145866

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 15, 2022