Founded in Williamsport in 1831 and named for its honored director Daniel Repasz, it is one of the oldest American community bands. The band played at Lee's surrender at Appomattox in 1865 and at its 150th anniversary in 2015, and at Grant's Tomb dedications in 1897 and 1997. As the band of the 12th Pa. National Guard, members participated in the presidential inaugural parades of T. Roosevelt and W.H. Taft. "The Repasz Band March" is performed worldwide.
Erected 2017 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment • Parks & Recreational Areas • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #26 Theodore Roosevelt, the Former U.S. Presidents: #27 William Howard Taft, and the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series lists.
Location. 41° 14.951′ N, 77° 0.199′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kenneth L. Cooper Band Shell (within shouting distance of this marker); Jane Cummings Brandon (approx. 0.2 miles away); A. Boyd Cummings (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oliver Sterling Metzler Memorial Gate (approx. ¼ mile away); Fultz Quadrangle (approx. ¼ mile away); Preachers' Aid Society (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Main (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lycoming College (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
Also see . . .
1. The Repasz Band. (Submitted on February 27, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Brandon Park at Facebook. (Submitted on February 27, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 27, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 4, 2020, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.