Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Glennville in Tattnall County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Shiloh Cemetery

 
 
Old Shiloh Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 4, 2002
1. Old Shiloh Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  Shiloh Methodist Church, the second oldest Methodist Church in Tattnall County, was organized c. 1810 by Rev. William Eason and remained at this site until the 1850’s when it was moved a short distance north. Unlike at other churches in the area at the time, a cemetery was maintained beside the Meeting House. Six generations of area residents are buried here in likely the first public cemetery in Tattnall County. Burials include area pioneer Michael McKenzie Mattox, Methodist ministers, Confederate veterans, and state elected officials and numerous other whites and blacks-both free and slave. The last burial occurred in 1942.
 
Erected 2001 by The Georgia Historical Society, Trustees of Old Shiloh Cemetery, and Friends of Old Shiloh Cemetery Inc. (Marker Number 132-2.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 32° 2.331′ 
Old Shiloh Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 4, 2012
2. Old Shiloh Cemetery Marker
N, 82° 4.263′ W. Marker is near Glennville, Georgia, in Tattnall County. Marker is on Georgia Route 121 at milepost 15, 0.1 miles south of Bea Durrance Road, on the left when traveling south. Marker is located at Mile Marker 15 on Georgia Highway 121. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glennville GA 30427, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Love's Chapel Primative Baptist Church (approx. 8.1 miles away); Bellville (approx. 9.7 miles away); Beards Creek Church (approx. 12˝ miles away); Claxton First United Methodist Church (approx. 12.6 miles away); Dedicated to All Who Served (approx. 12.8 miles away); Evans County (approx. 12.8 miles away); Old Campground Cemetery (approx. 12.8 miles away); Cedar Creek Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 14.1 miles away).
 
Old Shiloh Cemetery and Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 4, 2012
3. Old Shiloh Cemetery and Marker
Old Shiloh Cemetery and Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 4, 2012
4. Old Shiloh Cemetery and Marker
Shiloh United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 4, 2012
5. Shiloh United Methodist Church
The church, a short distance from the Old Shiloh Cemetery, was organized in 1812.
Shiloh United Methodist Church Sign image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 4, 2012
6. Shiloh United Methodist Church Sign
While the marker states the church was established "c.1810," the sign at the church states 1812.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 22, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,259 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 22, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 23, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 4, 2020