New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Plaque provided by the New York Community Trust, 1976
Erected 1976 by New York Community Trust.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington series list.
Location. 40° 42.205′ N, 74° 0.685′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 54 Pearl Street, New York NY 10004, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fraunces Tavern Tallmadge Memorial (here, next to this marker); Fraunces Tavern Block Historic District (a few steps from this marker); First Church on Manhattan Island (within shouting distance of this marker); The Archaeology of the Stadt Huys Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Dutch Hoog Straat (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First Huguenot Church in New York City (about 300 feet away); Vietnam Veterans Plaza (about 400 feet away); First Printing Press in the Colony of New York (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
More about this marker. Two additional Revolutionary War Heritage Trail markers are located just inside the doorway to Fraunces Tavern's resturant. The top one has the text "This Tavern, operated by Samuel Fraunces, was a center of political activity. General Washington said farewell to his Continental Army officers at this site."
The other contains the text "Fraunces Tavern is a survivor of the early days of New York City. Built in 1719 as an elegant residence for the Delancey family, the home was purchased in 1762 by Samuel Fraunces, who turned it into one of the most popular taverns of the day. Though it is best known as the site where Washington gave his farewell address to the officers of the Continental Army on December 4, 1783, the tavern also played a significant role in pre-Revolutionary activities.
During the 1770’s the tavern was the home of a number of prominent organizations, including the New York City Chamber of Commerce, the Sons of Liberty and the New York Provincial Congress. After the war, when New York was the nation’s first capital, the tavern housed the offices of the Departments of Treasury, War (today’s Defense Department), and Foreign Affairs (today’s State Department).
In 1904, the Sons of the Revolution in the State of New York purchased the tavern and restored the building to its colonial appearance. Fraunces Tavern Museum opened to the public in 1907. Today, the museum complex includes four 19th century buildings in addition to the 18th-century Fraunces Tavern."
Regarding Fraunces Tavern. The building is listed in the "AIA (American Institute of Architects) Guide to New York City, Fifth Edition".
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. It is the Fraunces Tavern marker in Philadelphia.
Also see . . .
1. Fraunces Tavern Museum. (Submitted on November 5, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Fraunces Tavern - Hangout of Sons Of Liberty; Hosted Washington, Several Cabinet Departments (Submitted on November 5, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
3. The New York Community Trust. A long-time crusader for preservation, the Municipal Art Society joined with The Trust in 1956 to begin the “Landmarks of New York” project. (Submitted on October 27, 2009.)
4. Wikipedia Entry. “The location played a prominent role in history before, during and after the American Revolution, serving as a headquarters for George Washington, a venue for peace negotiations with the British, and housing federal offices in the Early Republic” (Submitted on November 18, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.)
5. The 1719 Fraunces Tavern -- No. 54 Pearl Street. "Daytonian in Manhattan" entry. (Submitted on April 9, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 5, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,530 times since then and 72 times this year. Last updated on March 4, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 5, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 5. submitted on November 18, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 6. submitted on December 5, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 7, 8, 9. submitted on November 5, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 10. submitted on June 24, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 11. submitted on October 14, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 12. submitted on July 27, 2009, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.