Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Grand Prairie in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Southland Cemetery

 
 
Old Southland Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye, March 1, 2020
1. Old Southland Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  

Founded in 1910 by Thomas H. Hall (1867-1965), this cemetery was the result of a need to have a burial ground closer to the community than those existing more than four miles distant. Four acres of land were dedicated for use as a cemetery, and Hall began to plot the original plan for the design of the graveyard, using lot markers made of bois d'arc wood.

The oldest marked grave in the cemetery is that of Edward Z. Motley (1885-1910). Also buried that year was Thomas Hall's brother, George Byrd Hall (1878-1910). Two stones which reflect earlier death dates (Thomas E. Vernoy, 1879, and Fannie Millar Sadler and infant daughter, 1909) document reinterment here from other locations.

In 1918 Emma Motley (1856-1946) donated funds for the erection of a stone and wrought iron arched entrance gate for the cemetery.

Although a cemetery association had been formed about 1939, the cemetery was not deeded to the trustees of the Southland Cemetery Association until 1973 by the heirs of Thomas H. Hall.

The Old Southland Cemetery stands as a reminder to Grand Prairie residents of their community's heritage.

Texas
Old Southland Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye, March 26, 2020
2. Old Southland Cemetery Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Sesquicentennial 1836 – 1986
 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6885.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesParks & Recreational AreasSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
 
Location. 32° 43.782′ N, 97° 0.337′ W. Marker is in Grand Prairie, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Southwest 3rd Street north of Dickey Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1205 SW 3rd Street, Grand Prairie TX 75050, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Avion Village (approx. 0.9 miles away); Grand Prairie Airfield (approx. 0.9 miles away); Dr. H.V. Copeland Home (approx. 0.9 miles away); LiveStone Lodge No. 152, F. & A. M. (approx. 1.4 miles away); Hensley Field (approx. 3 miles away); Jordan-Bowles House (approx. 3.1 miles away); Jordan-Hight Family Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Dallas Baptist University (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Prairie.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 10, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 10, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas.   2. submitted on March 26, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=146460

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 28, 2022