Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Aberdeen in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Spesutia Church

St. George’s Parish

— Episcopal —

 
 
Spesustia Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, June 24, 2007
1. Spesustia Church Marker
Inscription.  Founded in 1671 at Gravelly, where original wooden structure no longer stands (about 2 miles southeast, on Aberdeen Proving Ground). Parish moved here in 1718. Present church, erected in 1851, is third on this site. Brick Vestry House here dates from 1766. Early graves were moved from Gravelly.
The name Spesutia is derived from the Latin for Utie’s Hope, 17th century Manorial Grant to Colonel Nathaniel Utie.

 
Erected by Citizens of Harford County & Maryland Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionColonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1671.
 
Location. 39° 28.391′ N, 76° 12.24′ W. Marker is near Aberdeen, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is at the intersection of Perryman Road (Maryland Route 159) and Chelsea Road, on the right when traveling south on Perryman Road. Marker is in the church parking lot, a little dead-end stretch of road going off to the right from southbound Perryman Road, just after
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
that road (along with MD 159) takes 90 degree turn where straight ahead becomes Chelsea Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Aberdeen MD 21001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sophia’s Dairy (approx. 1˝ miles away); "O! say can you see…" (approx. 2.2 miles away); Colony of Maryland (approx. 2.2 miles away); State of Maryland (approx. 2.3 miles away); Aberdeen Proving Ground (approx. 3.2 miles away); James B. Baker House (approx. 3.2 miles away); This Tablet (approx. 3.3 miles away); "The Bush Declaration" (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aberdeen.
 
Regarding Spesutia Church. “About 1649, Col. Utie came from Virginia to explore the upper bay region and find a place to settle. In 1658, Bearson’s Island, located a few hundred yards south of Havre de Grace, was granted to Nathaniel Utie. He changed the name to Spesutie, using the Latin Spes-Utie, meaning Utie’s Hope. The spelling was later changed to Spesutia as it is known today.” —quoted from Our Harford Heritage by C. Milton Wright.
 
St. George's Episcopal Church and Cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, June 24, 2007
2. St. George's Episcopal Church and Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 5,569 times since then and 148 times this year. Last updated on March 20, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 24, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=146952

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024