Newark in Wise County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The 1865 Indian Creek Raid
During the late 1850s, Indians on the North Texas frontier became increasingly restive about continued white settlement on their lands. As a result, numerous attacks on Anglos occurred during the years from 1859 to 1875. One such incident took place in September 1865 near this site when 15 mounted Indians attacked two Denton County residents by the names of Smith and Wright. Wright was killed, and Smith, wounded by an arrow, rode to Denton for help. Within a short time, Smith died from blood poisoning caused by his wound.
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5280.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Wars, US Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1865.
Location. 32° 58.837′ N, 97° 29.127′ W. Marker is in Newark, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 1220 south of Hangar Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark TX 76071, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dido School Dido Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Teague Cemetery (approx. 4˝ miles away); Kiowa Raid on Walnut Creek (approx. 5 miles away); George Lawson Bledsoe (approx. 5.1 miles away); United Methodist Church of Rhome (approx. 5.1 miles away); Aurora Cemetery (approx. 5.1 miles away); Eagle Mountain Lake MCAS Auxiliary (Rhome Field) (approx. 5.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Indians Kill Two Parker County Settlers. Border Land: The Struggle for Texas, 1820-1879 (Submitted on March 25, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 22, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 495 times since then and 174 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 22, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.