Tinicum Township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Lazaretto Quarantine Station
Erected 2008 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Notable Buildings • Science & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1799.
Location. 39° 51.733′ N, 75° 17.968′ W. Marker is in Tinicum Township, Pennsylvania, in Delaware County. Marker is at the intersection of 2nd Street and Lagrange Ave., on the right when traveling north on 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Essington PA 19029, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 milesGovernor Printz Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); New Sweden (approx. 0.2 miles away); Johan Printz (approx. ¼ mile away); Tinicum (approx. half a mile away); Tinicum Township (approx. half a mile away); Morton Homestead (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ridley Township (approx. 1.4 miles away); John Morton (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tinicum Township.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Lazaretto - Tybee Island, GA
Also see . . .
1. Lazaretto Quarantine Station - Tinicum Township, PA. (Submitted on December 27, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
2. Lazaretto Quarantine Station - Behind the Marker. ExplorePAHistory.com (Submitted on July 19, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
3. Philadelphia Lazaretto - wikipedia. (Submitted on May 4, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
4. Lazaretto Quarantine Station Rescued - Philadelphia inquirer Article. (Submitted on March 25, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland.)
1. Philadelphia Lazaretto - America’s First Quarantine Hospital
The Philadelphia Lazaretto was the first quarantine hospital in the United States, built in 1799, in Tinicum Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. The site was originally
— Submitted May 4, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2008, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,466 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 27, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.