Spotsylvania Courthouse in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Spotsylvania Court House National Historic District
On December 31, 1855, Joseph Sanford and his wife Agnes sold the tract of land across from the Courthouse and the Spotswood Inn (also owned by Sanford) to Dr. J. Edgar Chancellor. The deed had restrictions; Sanford was to have the use and enjoyment of the two buildings upon said tract of land, one formerly occupied by L. McClarke as a shoemaker's shop, and the other for use as a corn house. Also, the deed did not allow Chancellor to erect any "Ordinary or house of public entertainment during the continuance of the "House of Entertainment" now occupied by Joseph Sanford." In other words, Sanford did not want any competition to The Spotswood Inn.
James Edgar Chancellor was born in 1826 in Spotsylvania County. He was the son of George Chancellor and Ann Lyon Pound. He studied at Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia and at the University of Virginia. He operated a successful store and medical practice at this site from 1855 until 1862. After the death of his wife (Dorry J.), he placed his 235 acre tract up for public sale and took his four children, Eustathius, Clarendon, Sebastian, and Samuel to Charlottesville. He continued
Economically devastated by the war, ownership of the store changed hands between 1862 and 1964.
Dr. James Edgar Chancellor
Chancellor practiced his trade at the "Rotunda" at the University of Virginia. The famous structure served as a hospital during the Civil War.
Payment from the Confederate States of America to Dr. Chancellor in the amount of $529.00 for his service as a Surgeon.
1866 photo of Chancellor's Store and home. Note the whitewashed repairs from artillery fire during the battles for Spotsylvania Courthouse in 1864. It was not called Cash Corner until 1898.
Chancellor's ad for public sale of the property. Note the large number of bricks for sale. Chancellor also had two brick kilns in operation on the property.
Erected by Spotsylvania County Museum, County of Spotsylvania, Virginia.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education Industry & Commerce • Science & Medicine • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, Spotsylvania County Museum series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 31, 1855.
Location. 38° 12.084′ N, 77° 35.358′ W. Marker is in Spotsylvania Courthouse, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker is at the intersection of Courthouse Road (Virginia Route 208) and Brock Road (County Road 613) when traveling north on Courthouse Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9102 Courthouse Rd, Spotsylvania VA 22553, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. An Unexpected End to Life (here, next to this marker); The Corner Store (here, next to this marker); Legend, Lore and Fact (a few steps from this marker); Lee’s Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Across the Years & $6,700 (within shouting distance of this marker); Samuel Alsop Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker); An Ordinary on the Road to Snell (within shouting distance of this marker); A Tavern at the New Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spotsylvania Courthouse.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.