Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Methodist Church

 
 
Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
April 29, 2020
1. Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  This building stands at the church's third location. The original brick sanctuary stood on the east side of First Avenue facing Church Street. Land for it had been given in 1799 by Franklin founder Abram Maury. Pioneer Methodist Bishop Francis Asbury preached there in 1812. The church relocated in 1830 to the N.E. corner of Second and Church. That building was used as a hospital during the Battle of Franklin. Following the Civil War, the congregation of 238 purchased this triangular lot for $300. Construction began in 1869, with completion in 1871 and expansions in 1882, 1916, 1949, and 1955. The spire, destroyed in 1927, was replaced in 1995.
 
Erected 1995 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & ReligionWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee – Williamson County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1799.
 
Location. 35° 55.349′ N, 86° 52.246′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, in Williamson County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Ave South (Tennessee Route 106) and Church Street (Tennessee Route 246), on the right when traveling south on 5th Ave South. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 148 5th Ave S, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Pyle Clinic (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Franklin Historic District - Historic Home (about 500 feet away); Williamson County (about 500 feet away); Andrew Jackson (about 500 feet away); Chickasaw Treaty Council (about 500 feet away); Dan German Hospital (about 500 feet away); Field Hospitals (about 500 feet away); Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Also see . . .  Franklin United Methodist Church. (Submitted on April 29, 2020.)
 
Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
April 29, 2020
2. Methodist Church Marker
Original location of Methodist Church as specified in the Marker image. Click for full size.
April 29, 2020
3. Original location of Methodist Church as specified in the Marker
East side of 1st Ave at Church (signpost is shown in righthand side)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2020. This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 29, 2020. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149070

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024