Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Fourth Avenue Church of Christ

 
 
Fourth Avenue Church of Christ Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 9, 2020
1. Fourth Avenue Church of Christ Marker
Inscription.  In 1833, a congregation of seventeen Christians was organized in Franklin following preaching by Tolbert Fanning, Absalom Adams, and Alexander Campbell. Joel Anderson and Andrew Craig were other early leaders in this church, one of the oldest in the American Restoration movement. After Campbell's second visit in 1851, a brick meeting house was erected here on Indigo Street on a lot given by Thomas Hardin Perkins. The first service was held September 5, 1852. That building, used as a hospital after the Battle of Franklin, stood until it was ruined by a cyclone in 1927. The second church, which featured stained-glass windows from a 1914 edition, stood here for fifty years. The present structure was built in 1978.
 
Erected 1998 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee – Williamson County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1833.
 
Location. 35° 55.507′ N, 86° 52.25′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on 4th Avenue North north of Main Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 117 4th Avenue North, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 403-405 Main Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 430 Main Street (about 400 feet away); 320 Main Street (about 400 feet away); 432-438 Main Street (about 400 feet away); Franklin Downtown Historic District (about 400 feet away); Maury-Darby Building (about 400 feet away); Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Franklin Town Square (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Also see . . .  Fourth Avenue Church of Christ - History. (Submitted on May 11, 2020.)
 
Fourth Avenue Church of Christ Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 9, 2020
2. Fourth Avenue Church of Christ Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 10, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 217 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 10, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149649

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 1, 2024