Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Franklin-Hillsboro Turnpike / Franklin's Water Supply

 
 
Franklin-Hillsboro Turnpike Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 9, 2020
1. Franklin-Hillsboro Turnpike Marker
Inscription.  
Franklin-Hillsboro Turnpike
The Franklin Hillsboro Turnpike Company was chartered March 15, 1880. The turnpike ran from the Wye at Southall and Carter's Creek Turnpike to the Cunningham Bridge on Garrison Creek. Original stockholders were Joseph Carl, John H. Hunter, Edward Scruggs, S.S. Hughes, S.C. Sparkman, Dr. O.B. Waller, Thomas E, Perkins, Sr., and Dr. George B. Hunter. The tollgate, located north of the village of Hillsboro on Old Hillsboro Road, was allowed by law to collect 25 cents for a loaded wagon or automobile or 10 cents for a one-horse buggy. In 1924, Turnpike President J.L, Cooke and Treasurer E.T. Johnson surrendered the company's state charter and sold the roadbed to Williamson County for $7,000, All tollgates throughout the county eventually were lifted in January 1929,
Franklin's Water Supply
Before the summer of 1906, the town of Franklin (pop. 3,200) was faced with water shortages from failed cisterns and wells along with the constant fear of typhoid. Due to the vision of Franklin Mayor Dave Wagner and businessman Henry Hunter Mayberry, the town's thirst was quenched
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
by capping the springs west of the village of Hillsboro and piping the water nine miles to Franklin. Engineer Howard Neely oversaw the hand-dug installation of the eight-inch cast iron pipes from the springs to Franklin. Eventually 53 springs on 750 acres of city-owned land supplied 450,000 gallons per day to the 3.2 million-gallon reservoirs on Carter's Creek Pike. In 1927 three brick pump stations were added to improve the gravity flow system. Chlorination was added to the system in 1921. Franklin discontinued the Hillsboro and Garrison Springs supply in 1991.
 
Erected 2003 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkRoads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee – Williamson County Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 15, 1880.
 
Location. 35° 53.933′ N, 86° 57.478′ W. Marker is near Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Southall Road just east of McMillan Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3294 Southall Rd, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Boyd's Mill (approx. 1.7 miles away); Southall (approx. 1.9 miles away); William Irby Boyd Homestead ca. 1807
Franklin's Water Supply Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 9, 2020
2. Franklin's Water Supply Marker
(approx. 1.9 miles away); Leiper's Fork (approx. 2 miles away); Bingham (approx. 2 miles away); Bank of Leiper's Fork / Hillsboro Methodist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Leiper's Fork Church of Christ (approx. 2.3 miles away); Mayberry-Bailey Plantation (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Franklin-Hillsboro Turnpike / Franklin's Water Supply Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 9, 2020
3. Franklin-Hillsboro Turnpike / Franklin's Water Supply Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 11, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=149778

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024