Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Quincy in Adams County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Monument

Woodland Cemetery

 
 
The Monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Voigt, May 11, 2020
1. The Monument
Inscription.  Inscription - South Side of Monument

"Consecrated A.D. 1867 by Sisters of the Good Samaritan in duty, affection, and reverence to the memory of the faithful soldiers of Adams county, who gave their lives that the nation might live."

The Soldiers Monument was dedicated on October 31, 1867. On that day, a half-mile long procession made its way from the Court House to the cemetery. General John Tillson, a Civil War veteran, was the parade marshall. He and his aides were followed by the Quincy Band, by numerous other uniformed veterans and dignitaries, by carriages bearing the ladies of the Needle Pickets and Sisters of the Good Samaritan, and by ordinary citizens of Quincy and Adams County. "These grand old woods," according to the Quincy Herald, "never were thronged by as vast a crowd having a more noble object and never will again."

The Needle Pickets and Sisters of the Good Samaritan were organizations which, during the War, provided for the needs of the soldiers' families at home, tended to sick and injured soldiers who were hospitalized locally, and sent nurses to a number of battlefields. When
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the War ended, the Sisters of the Good Samaritan had a balance in their treasury of several thousand dollars, part of which was used for the relief of needy families of soldiers. The remainder was spent to erect the Soldiers Monument.

Designed and sculpted by Cornelius G. Volk, a local artist of national renown, the monument is located on the highest point of the cemetery. It is comprised of a thirty-foot shaft of white Vermont marble on a Joliet stone base and is topped by an American eagle, wings partially spread as if poised for flight to the south or east.

As a young man in the state of New York, Volk developed into one of the nation's finest artisans. He came to Quincy in 1848 and, from his workshop at 322 Maine Street, designed hundreds of stone sculptures. Among these are identical statues of Governor John Wood - one at the entrance to Washington Park in Quincy and one near the second floor rotunda in the State Capitol in Springfield.

Volk is buried in Block 10, Lot 41, of Woodland beneath a small, simple stone. His wife, Martha Barlow Volk, a cousin of Stephen A. Douglas, lies beside him.
 
Erected by Woodland Cemetery.
 
Topics. This historical marker and monument is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
 
Location.
The Monument image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Voigt, May 11, 2020
2. The Monument
In front of the Civil War monument
39° 55.121′ N, 91° 24.708′ W. Marker is in Quincy, Illinois, in Adams County. Marker can be reached from South 5th Street south of Madison Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in Woodland Cemetery, in front of the Civil War monument. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1020 South 5th Street, Quincy IL 62301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Honoring Soldiers (here, next to this marker); John Wood 1798-1880 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Victorian Cemetery (about 600 feet away); His Friends Rest Here (about 600 feet away); Mississippian (approx. ¼ mile away); Woodland (approx. ¼ mile away); Marquette & Jolliet (approx. ¼ mile away); Quincy (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quincy.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 15, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 132 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 15, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=150045

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 21, 2023