Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
12th and 44th New York Infantry
3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 5th Corps
The 44th N.Y. Infantry, Lieut. Colonel Freeman Conner commanding, held position about 100 feet in advance of this monument, designated by a marker, from about 3 p.m. July 2, to about 11 a.m. July 3, 1863.
Killed, 2 officers, 24 enlisted men.
Wounded, 5 officers (of whom one died), 75 enlisted
men (of whom ten died).
Total loss, 106.
(Front Right Side Plaque):
The 44th New York Infantry was organized at Albany, N.Y., August 8th—October 21, 1861. Number enlisted, 1096. Assigned to Brigade commanded by General Daniel Butterfield Subsequently known as 3d Brig. 1st Div.
Killed, 3 officers, 122 enlisted men.
Wounded, 35 officers (of whom one died), 504 enlisted men
(of whom sixty-two died).
Died of disease, 2 officers, 145 enlisted men.
Missing in action, 50 enlisted men.
Mustered out at Albany N.Y. Oct. 1864.
Men whose term had not expired transferred to 140th
and 146th N.Y. Infantry
(Back Left Side Plaque):
D & E Companies
Lt. Col. H.W. Ryder Com'd'g.
on duty at 5th Corps
July 1st 2d & 3d 1863.
(Back Right Side Plaque):
or some part of it was
present at all battles
of the 5th Corps
Army of Potomac
Hanover Court House
May 27th 1862
Appomattox April 9th 1865.
(Plaque on Tower):
On the 1st day of battle, General Francis Channing Barlow (formerly Lieut. of 12th) was severely wounded commanding 1st Div. 11th Corps.
On 2nd day of battle, General Daniel E. Sickles (formerly a captain of 12th) was severely wounded commanding 3rd Army Corps.
On the 3rd day of battle, General Daniel Butterfield (who, as Colonel, brought the 12th Regt. to the war) was wounded and disabled at Headquarters as Chief of Staff of the Army.
At the beginning of the war, this was the
At Appomattox the two companies of the 12th consolidated with the 5th N.Y Vet. Infy. under Lt. Col. H. W. Ryder & Maj. Paul A. Oliver took charge of the surrendered Confederate arms.
It had 66 enlisted men killed or died of wounds received in action, 67 enlisted men died of disease, 4 enlisted men died in the hands of the enemy.
It had officers killed or died of wounds in various battles:
Captain Wm. H. Hoagland.
Captain Jas. Cromie. Captain Jos. Turkington.
Captain Henry C. Burton.
Captain Wm. Stockman Woods.
Lieut. Edward M. Fisher.
Erected 1893 by State of New York.
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is April 9, 1864.
Location. 39° 47.475′ N, 77° 14.221′ W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Memorial is on Sykes Avenue, on the left when traveling northTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Col. Strong Vincent (here, next to this marker); Historic Breastworks (a few steps from this marker); 140th New York Infantry (a few steps from this marker); Gen. Strong Vincent (within shouting distance of this marker); Defense of Little Round Top (within shouting distance of this marker); Third Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); Sixteenth Michigan Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); "Hold The Ground At All Hazards" (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
More about this marker. The monument is perhaps the most prominent feature on Little Round Top. The "castle turret" has a stairway, leading to a viewing deck.
Also see . . .
1. 12th New York Infantry. Service record of the 12th New York. (Submitted on January 4, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. 44th New York Infantry. Service record of the 44th New York. The 44th was nicknamed "Ellsworth Avengers" in reference to Col. Elmer Elsworth, killed in Alexandria, Virginia (Submitted on January 4, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 4, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,091 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. submitted on January 4, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 15. submitted on July 5, 2012.