Richmond in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort Johnson - 1864
The test came on September 29, 1864. That morning Federal troops captured nearby Fort Harrison, then turned their attention to Fort Johnson. From here Confederate gunners opened fire at the massing blue lines. Just before the Union soldiers reached the fort, about 200 Georgia infantrymen arrived to reinforce Fort Johnson’s artillerists.
In the desperate fighting the outnumbered Confederate defenders prevented any Union soldiers from getting over the wall and captured nearly 150 Pennsylvanians who were trapped in the fort’s ditch. Fort Johnson remained in Confederate hands until its evacuation on April 2, 1865.
Erected by Richmond National Battlefield Park - National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1757.
Location. This marker has Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Henrico VA 23231, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Fort Johnson (a few steps from this marker); Fort Harrison (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Fort Harrison (approx. 0.6 miles away); Richmond Defences (approx. 0.6 miles away); Freedom Fighters (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Park Headquarters (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named First Park Headquarters (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Harrison Trail (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
More about this marker. The right of the marker contains a war-time photograph of the earthworks, with the caption “Note the person standing in the ditch in this 1865 photograph of Fort Johnson.”
Regarding Confederate Bulwark. This marker was replaced by a new one named Fort Johnson (See nearby markers).
Also see . . . Battlefield Tour - Ft Gilmer to Ft Brady. Richmond National Battlefield Park website. (Submitted on January 6, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 6, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 875 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 6, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.