Hanging Rock in Roanoke County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
United Daughters of the Confederacy Monuments
Hanging Rock Battlefield Trail
On June 3, 1932, the Southern Cross Chapter No. 746 U.D.C. erected a monument on Route 311, memorializing the battle and the Confederate soldiers who died here. On June 21, 1964, the William Watts Chapter No. 809 dedicated a monument at the intersection of I-81 and Route 419 to commemorate the One Hundredth Anniversary of the Battle of Hanging Rock.
Erected 1999 by County of Roanoke, the City of Salem, and the Hanging Rock Battlefield and Railway Preservation Foundation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • War, US CivilUnited Daughters of the Confederacy series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1900.
Location. 37° 19.677′ N, 80° 2.419′ W. Marker is in Hanging Rock, Virginia, in Roanoke County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Thompson Memorial Drive (Virginia Route 311) and Kessler Mill Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salem VA 24153, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hanging Rock Battlefield Trail (here, next to this marker); George Morgan Jones (here, next to this marker); The Battle of Hanging Rock (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Hanging Rock (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); McCausland Attacks (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Hanging Rock Coal Trestle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Two Future Presidents In Wartime Retreat (approx. ¼ mile away); Hanging Rock (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hanging Rock.
More about this marker. Marker is one of several interpretive signs along the cinder-surfaced, 1.7-mile long Hanging Rock Battlefield Trail that winds along Mason Creek and Kessler Mill Road in Salem, Virginia.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. As mentioned, markers placed in 1932 by the Southern Cross Chapter No. 746 U.D.C. and in 1964 by the William Watts Chapter No. 809.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 7, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,919 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 7, 2009, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.