Pulaski in Giles County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
In December of 1849 a college charter was obtained for Wurtemburg Academy from the State of Tennessee. The charter secured for the college the existing building, funds and grounds of Wurtemburg Academy. It was estimated that an additional $12,000.00 would be needed to erect the necessary building and procure a small library for the college. The money was raised and by the late 1850's Giles College, with a new building, was in operation.
With the outbreak of the Civil War, Giles College ceased operation and the building was used as an army hospital,
Giles College reopened in 1868 and operated until 1886 when the Town of Pulaski purchased the property and opened the first free school in Giles County, known as Pulaski High School. A major annex was added to the building in 1915 and during the 1920's the first six grades were moved to the old Massey School building and the name was changed, this time to Central High School.
For the next 75 years the Giles College building was utilized as a school building for various grades until 1961 when the City of Pulaski began using the structure as a recreation center. In 1964 the Giles College building was razed, making way for a new recreation center.
Erected by City of Pulaski.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Parks & Recreational Areas • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is November 23, 1809.
Location. 35° 11.692′ N, 87° 1.737′ W. Marker is in Pulaski, Tennessee, in Giles County. Marker can be reached from South Sam Davis Avenue south of East College Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is located behind recreation center. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Native Americans in Giles County (a few steps from this marker); Establishment of Pulaski / Giles County (within shouting distance of this marker); Count Casimir Pulaski (1747-1779) (within shouting distance of this marker); Giles County Courthouses (within shouting distance of this marker); Nunahi-Duna-Dlo-Hily-I (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trail of Tears (about 300 feet away); The Benge Route (about 400 feet away); The Trail of Tears Interpretive Center (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pulaski.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 10, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 10, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.